Friday, April 23, 2010

Gymnastics, Overhead Squats and Otter Pops


Gymnastic Skills & Overhead Squat strength day: 5 sets of 3 reps.

The first part of the workout was practicing gymnastic movements. This bothered my shoulder so I stopped doing them and went to other exercises. Erin killed it, she’s a tough broad :-)

The next part of the day was overhead squats, 5 sets of 3. Since gymnastics exercises bothered my shoulder I was nervous and started really light, actually too light. My goal was to play it safe and feel it out. So start really light then add weight seeing how much I could handle without being in pain.

The lifts felt really good and I kept going up in weight and added more sets. I wound up doing 9 sets because it felt so good. I finished my 8th set doing 145 pounds for 3 reps and on my 9th set I attempted 155 but only got 2 reps and dropped the bar on the last rep. If I had started heavier and didn’t do so many sets I feel I could have gotten the 155 and possibly more. The 155 pounds didn’t feel too heavy, but who knows if I could have actually done more. It's not “official” until you complete the exercises and reps.

Overall my shoulder felt really good and my only feeling of disappointment was because I felt I should have lifted more weight and started heavier sooner. I wanted to get into that group of people whose lifts are far above everyone else’s. It was a good lift day but not a day that make other people say "daaaaaaamn" that’s a lot of weight. I probably needed to overhead squat 165+ pounds to get into that group.

If the gym doesn’t schedule this strength in the next couple months I’ll do it on my own in the middle of June to see if I can get into that 165+ area for 3 reps with overhead squats.

Afterwards, I had more energy to burn off so when I got home I ran 2 miles. This was perfect because I got the biggest runners High I've had in a long time.

Originally, Erin and I had trouble getting motivated to go to the gym, we were tired and just not feeling it but we forced ourselves to go anyway. She did great, felt great and had a good strength day. I'm so glad I got off my butt and worked out too, it definitely helped our energy and both our moods for the evening.

Now it's time to reward myself……….I’m guessing 20-30 otter pops will do the trick. Don’t worry it’s Paleo. They are made with real otters :)

1 comment:

  1. What is this the 1950's? Since when do you start referring to me as a "broad?" Next thing you know you'll start calling me your old lady. Let's come up with something a little less golden oldies, Nugget - E

    ReplyDelete