Friday, March 26, 2010

Random: Boobies is a funny word

So last night I attended a meeting at my oldest daughter’s school to receive an overview of the schools upcoming Sex Ed curriculum. This was an opportunity for parents to ask questions or opt their child out of this.

My concern isn’t about whether sex education should be taught in the school, what I’m worried about is when we were receiving the overview they showed us part of the video they’ll play in the class. It was literally made in the early 1990’s, the three kids looked like Vanilla Ice, Kid from Kid-n-Play and an early version of J-Lo when she was a dancer on In Living Color. You can’t make this up, it was RADICAL.

When I saw the kids being early 90’s cool I almost fell out of my seat laughing, but I held it together because I’m surrounded by other parents that are obviously more mature than me. The video was good, it will get the job done for what the class needs, but then they start talking about hormones. They break away from the kids, show a cartoon and when they say you’ll feel different, they had sparkles and stars circling around the cartoon boy and cartoon girls genitalia. As they showed that the first thing that popped in my head was "hehe boobies is a funny word". I started giggling like a school girl and couldn’t stop. I look around and nobody else is smiling, they are taking notes and really taking this video serious. I tried to hold it in but couldn’t so I had to fake that I’m receiving a phone call then I get up and leave the class. I giggled it out in the hall, grabbed a drink of water and regained my composure. Those other parents must be lame because that video was funny.

I do know that if I receive a note home from her school that she was removed from the class because she kept giggling during the video, I’ll try not to be too upset :-) Chances are that won’t happen because my 11 year old daughter is much more mature than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment