Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Another challenge on the table




Sometimes I’m put into situations where my mouth isn’t to blame. I blame Gabe this time, he’s one of the trainers at the CFBV. He posted a workout he was planning to do, from that a conversation came up regarding a previous WOD, then somehow in there Gabe say’s “hey Ron why don’t you challenge Jon to a WOD” I’m still not recovered from the Mess with a Navy Seal Day workout. But of course since he said I should challenge Jon, now I have to. I can’t look like I’m scared or look as if I don’t think I’d win…..because the truth is I’m Ron Onyon and with the right WOD I should be able to beat anyone. So I posted a challenge to Jon but never heard back.

The next day I asked Jon if he was up for it since he didn’t reply online and he said “Oh I thought it went without saying I’d accept any WOD anytime against you”………HOW IS HE NOT SCARED OF ME???? Didn’t he see my business card that says “I’m Ron Onyon Bit**”. Now I’m going to make sure this happens.

There are two criteria with this challenge:

1. I pick or create the WOD
2. I pick the time.

The truth is Jon has been training very serious for Crossfit sectionals and regional’s, he’s younger, peaking physically, he’s about a foot taller than me, at least 40 pounds heavier of pure muscle, plus he is a great athlete so I need to be more strategic with the WOD.

Jon made a good point when we talked, he said our strengths in Crossfit are similar, unfortunately that’s true and he might be better at them…….I said “might be” not he definitely is better at them. Since my strong points are similar to his and my weaker ones are similar too this is going to be a bit more difficult than I originally thought. I need to create a legitimate WOD where I can edge ahead of him rep by rep.

I think I’m faster with short quick reps. For example if we did 5 pull-ups, I’ll beat him in every set of 5 pull-ups, however if you said to do 50 pull-ups then he’d beat me. So in the WOD I need to break up reps in short fast sets. Also, since Jon is 6’6 and I’m a few inches short of 6 foot, that ground to overhead exercises would benefit me. I also think a run would be good because I can knock out a fast run and there is no chance in hell I’m rowing against him because Jon is a sick rower and the rower really doesn’t like me, so no rowing. Then I was thinking of putting in an exercise at the end that can either help me or blow up in my face. I think at the end of the WOD finish with a plank. I don’t know how long he can hold it but figure he has a lot more weight to hold up. So the plan would be to finish the WOD then however long you hold the plank position that time will be subtracted from your total time in the WOD. It can help if Jon beats me so I have a last chance to make up for it or it could blow up in my face for that exact opposite reason.

So far thinking:




Challenge WOD
4 rounds of (5 pull-ups & 5 ground to overhead at 135 pounds)
Run 400 meters
4 rounds of (5 pull-ups & 5 ground to overhead at 135 pounds)
Run 800 meters
4 rounds of (5 pull-ups & 5 ground to overhead at 135 pounds)
Run 400 meters
Plank

This WOD isn’t set in stone, it’s just a starting point but I like it so far.

Plus before I do this I have to finish up “Mess with a Navy Seal Day: the rematch”

These challenges have had me thinking of a fun fundraiser/challenge for the gym. Let people challenge others in a WOD. The challenged person has to be interested and accept, then the challenger has to pay 10, 25, or 50 just a set amount of money to do the challenge. Then the WOD has to be approved by one of the trainers at the gym to make sure it’s fair, competitive and reasonable. You can have the money go to a pool for the Christmas celebration at the end of the year. Plus we can track people’s records on the board. See if anyone can stay undefeated or who has the longest win/losing streaks.

Just a thought plus there are many people I’d like to take down in the gym, guys and women :-)

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sure you are going to get smoked, well unless you wear that Pimp costume and your rhinestone studded ear buds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a chance. I crunched the numbers and with my strengths, times and
    body type I should win. You can't argue the math.

    ReplyDelete